Note: Wear fitted clothing, a bathing suit, bodysuit so you get accurate measurements.
Step 1: Take a measuring tape and wrap it around yourself (total circumference) just below your collarbone, so you hit shoulder to shoulder.
Step 2: Take the same measuring tape and wrap it right across your bust, make sure its pulled tight but not digging into your skin
Step 3: Wrap the tape around your stomach so it hit right above the belly button, make sure its pulled tight but not digging into your skin
Step 4: Do the same step but this time wrap it around your hip. Measure the fullest part of your hips, usually around the seat.
- Hourglass: Your bust and hips are about the same circumference, with your waist being the smallest part of your body, there’s usually an 7-10 inch difference between the waist and hips
- Inverted Triangle: Broader shoulders and narrow hips. If your shoulder measurement is greater than your hips and your waist and hips are about the same measurements, you’re an inverted triangle.
- Rectangle: Your body silhouette is pretty straight with narrow hips and smaller bust and waist line all around the same measurements.
- Pear: Your silhouette is similar to an hourglass but your hips are wider and not congruent with your bust, with your waist still being the smallest part of your body.
- Apple: You have slightly narrow shoulders with a wider midsection. Your hips are fairly narrow and slim.
Now that you have a better understanding of your shape, let's get started in finding the right pieces for your body shape.